At Apple, extraordinary ideas have a way of becoming excellent products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Would you relish a fast-paced environment where your technical abilities will be challenged on a day-to-day basis? If so, Apple's Global Business Intelligence (GBI) team is seeking an expert Software Engineer to build high quality, scalable and resilient distributed systems that power Apple's analytics platforms and data pipelines.
Apple's Enterprise Data Warehouse landscape caters to a wide variety of real-time, near real-time and batch analytics solutions. These solutions are an integral part of business functions like Sales, Operations, Finance, AppleCare, Marketing and Internet Services; enabling business leaders to make critical decisions. We use proprietary and open source technologies like Kafka, Spark, Iceberg, Airflow, Presto, etc. If you are looking to tackle infrastructure problems at scale, both on-prem or in cloud, focusing on ease of use, ease of maintenance and most importantly implement solutions that are scalable, you will have fun in GBI!
The ideal candidate for this position will be able to think outside of the box and should have passion for building engineering solutions to enable business in making time sensitive and critical decisions. If you feel this is you, we'd love to hear from you.
* In-depth knowledge of BI concepts and implementation experience on Cloud with databases like SnowFlake or Big Query
* In-depth understanding of fundamentals of object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, and problem solving
* Programming experience building high quality software. Proficiency in at-least one of the following programming languages: Python, Scala or Java
* Experience working on relational databases and a strong foundation in RDBMS concepts
* Cloud technology expertise on platforms like AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud
* Experience developing Big Data/Hadoop applications using java, Spark, Hive, Oozie, Kafka, and Map Reduce is a huge plus!
* Hands-on understanding of Spark cluster-computing framework & Kubernetes (or similar containerization technologies)
* Experience in Enterprise-ready Cloud Data-Warehousing platforms like Snowflake is highly valued
* Strong hands-on experience in designing and development of cloud-based applications that include large scale compute services, database services, APIs to design RESTful services, ETL, queues and notification services.
* Demonstrate excellence in Software Engineering processes, including test driven development
* Passion for Agile methodologies and continuous delivery software development
* Secure and skilled at working in tandem with a team of engineers, or alone (depending on the situation)
* Ability to see the bigger picture impact of decisions
* Strong analytical and social skills
We engineer high-quality, scalable and resilient distributed systems on cloud that power data exploration, analytics, reporting and production models. Our core systems are diverse and come with an unusual intersection of high data volumes with systems distributed across cloud and on-premise infrastructure.
On our team you will build solutions that integrate open source software with Apple's internal ecosystem. You will drive development of new components and features from concept to release: design, build, test, and ship at a regular cadence. You will work closely with internal customers to understand their requirements and workflows, and propose new features and ecosystem changes to streamline their experience of using the solutions on our platform.
This is a true software engineering role, where a large part of an engineer's time is spent in writing code and designing/developing applications on cloud, with the remainder being spent on tuning and debugging codebase, supporting production applications and supporting our application end-users. This role requires in-depth knowledge of brand-new technologies and cloud data platforms with the skills too independently learn new technologies and contribute to the success of various initiatives.
Education & Experience
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
* 10+ years building enterprise level applications on large-scale distributed systems
* Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. We at Apple we are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation.