The supply chain automation group within AWS infrastructure is building a new suite of tools to automate and bring intelligence to all AWS supply chain planning . We are responsible for optimizing and automating operational, tactical and strategic decision-making: the services we own are directly responsible for billions of dollars in spend, resulting in us having a huge opportunity to move the needle in a positive direction. The team has a strong bench of senior engineering and science talent, so it will be a great place for someone to deliver results while learning and growing their career.
We are looking for experienced Software Development Engineers, who wants to work on challenging, high impact problems and is passionate about building the next generation of industry-leading supply chain systems on the AWS Cloud. This is a great opportunity to grow your career working with great engineers building simple and highly scalable solutions for very complex problems at AWS scale. You will apply your skills in service-oriented architectures and building horizontally-scalable systems to develop and operate an end-to-end supply chain platform and deploy machine learning at scale. An ideal candidate will have prior experience demonstrating the ability to design and implement complex features, show ownership at all stages of product development and mentor junior engineers. Experience with building large-scale distributed systems based on cloud services and primitives is essential.
Key job responsibilities
In this role your responsibilities are and not limited to:
· Solve complex problems, applying appropriate technologies and best practices.
· Focus on a major portion of existing or new team software, including large or significant component, set of features, mid-size application or service.
· Work with your team to invent, design and build software that is stable and performant.
· Write code that an SDE unfamiliar with the system can understand.
· Provide proper level of complexity the first time (or at least minimize incidental complexity).
· Work on project ideas with customers, stakeholders, peers and helping balance customer requirements with team requirements.
· Help your team evolve by actively participating in the code review process, design discussions, team planning, and ticket/metric/COE reviews.
· Improve and focus on operational excellence, constructively identifying problems and proposing solutions.
· Take on projects and make software enhancements that improve team software and processes.
· Work to resolve the root cause of complex problems, leaving software better and easier to maintain than when you found it.
· Support training new team-mates on how your team's software is constructed, how it operates, how secure it is, and how it fits into the bigger picture.
A day in the life
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
The positions involve minimal on-call responsibilities, typically each team follows a standard process to limit the on-call requirement. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
About the team
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our teams are dedicated to supporting new team members. Our teams have a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive Team Culture
Our teams are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Yes we do get to build a really cool products, but we also think a big reason for that is the inclusive and welcoming culture we try to cultivate every day. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally.
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
· 3+ years of experience developing objected-oriented software, with mastery of one or more relevant languages (Java, C#, C++, Ruby, etc.)
· Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
· Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit