One team. Global challenges. Infinite opportunities. At Viasat, we're on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. For more than 35 years, Viasat has helped shape how consumers, businesses, governments and militaries around the globe communicate. We're looking for people who think big, act fearlessly, and create an inclusive environment that drives positive impact to join our team.
As Senior Software Engineer on the Device Management team, you will play a key role in the development of large-scale, distributed applications to manage Viasat's next-generation of terminals and edge devices. Our team is entering an exciting new phase where we're going to be working with the latest IoT and edge device management technologies, such as TR-369, MQTT, AWS and Azure IoT frameworks, etc.
You have the passion to design, code, and test highly scalable applications that focus on the business requirements of external and internal customers and enable industry leadership in the cloud computing space. You possess the creativity and the motivation to deliver exceptional customer experience and to solve real problems for real users. You interact with customers and project management on developing solid domain and problem understanding and work with fellow application and core platform engineers to build solutions for those customer projects.
* A minimum of 4 years of experience with commercial software development in building distributed applications and systems or equivalent expertise
* Proficient coding ability in one or more object-oriented programming languages such as Python, Java, C++
* Proficient with one or more database technologies, both SQL and NoSQL based, such as MySQL, postgres, Redis, Hadoop, etc.
* Has an automated testing and test-driven development mindset. Able to create and maintain suites of automated tests, proficient with automated test frameworks such as pyunit or Junit, and familiar with automated test concepts and patterns such as mocks and dependency injection.
* Able to work productively within an agile environment (Scrum, Kanban, XP), modern software development environments as well as with DevOps practices
* Comfortable working on a DevOps team. Our team members design, code, and test our applications then deploy that code into production environments and monitor and support the production applications.
* Broad range of technology interests across different disciplines including computer and system architecture, web applications, performance analysis, distributed systems design, testing, and verification technologies, data processing, and networking
* Excellent communication and collaboration skills to drive interaction with customers, peer developers, and project managers
* Strong technical and software engineering background in the areas of cloud computing, enterprise computing, servers, networking, and virtualization technology and products
* Proficient coding with functional programming languages such as Clojure or Lisp
* Domain knowledge in any of satellite communication systems, network provisioning, server, and network virtualization, BSS/OSS is a plus
* Experience in technologies used in the cloud computing space, including Amazon AWS, Google Compute Engine, Rackspace, or related IaaS offerings, map/reduce algorithms, virtualized server compute units, scalable architectures, distributed databases, and big data analysis
* Experience with SOA based integration techniques using web services, XML/HTTPS, REST, or SOAP
* Hands-on experience with Git
* Experience with provisioning systems and resource management in cloud systems (such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, OpsWorks, etc.) is a plus
* Open source contributions and community engagement is desirable and supported
* Proven experience with the complete product life cycle in a production services environment, including design, implementation, load, and scale testing, deployment, and maintenance
If the Federal Executive Order for Government Contractors becomes effective, this role may require vaccination. In such instance, absent an approved accommodation based on a religious or medical reason, employees in this role will be required to be fully vaccinated no later than applicable deadlines, which are unknown at this point. Viasat will strive to give individuals as much notice as practicable if a vaccine mandate becomes applicable to this role.
To learn more about this site and other office locations, please click here!
Additional Requirements and Information
Years of Experience
Up to 10%
At Viasat, we consider many factors when it comes to compensation, including the scope of the position as well as your background and experience. For Colorado-based jobs only: The minimum for this position is $141,300 annually; however, base pay may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Additional cash or stock incentives may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. Learn more about Viasat's comprehensive benefit offerings that are focused on your holistic health and wellness.
Base Salary Low Hourly (Arithmetic)
Base Salary Low Annual (Arithmetic)