Applications accepted from: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Job Classification: IT PROFESSIONAL - INFRASTRUCTURE
Posting Number: 29015
Division: ENTERPRISE INFRASTRUCTURE SERVICES
Reporting Location: 611 WALKER, 9TH FLOOR
Workdays & Hours: MONDAY - FRIDAY, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM SUBJECT TO CHANGE DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Provides architectural guidance and technical leadership of the managed PC environment. Responsible for analyzing, migrating, and implementing standard solutions for the hardware, drivers, operating system, required software and management (patching) of the device. Furthermore, responsible for analyzing business applications to ensure they will run optimally in the end user desktop environment. This includes planning, installation and on-going administration of the associated environment as described above.
Responsible for designing and implementing PC management solutions, including Microsoft SCCM and Microsoft Endpoint Manager. In addition, the job requirements include analyzing operational issues resulting in Service Desk volume, identifying solutions to resolve the operational issues, and implementing automated technical solutions to resolve the issues which will drive improved end user productivity.
Responsible for high-level desktop hardware/software planning, design, and optimization. Develops strategies and direction for desktop hardware/software solutions using current and emerging technologies. Plans and recommends desktop hardware, management software and architecture. Approves and modifies desktop hardware/software design and architecture to ensure compliance. Configures and maintains desktop devices for the compute infrastructure. Evaluates and recommends new products, maintains knowledge of emerging technologies for application to the enterprise. Monitors the performance of the desktop environment/ecosystem, ensures capacity planning is performed, and is proactive in assessing and making recommendations for improvement.
The position involves developing the core technical platform, capabilities, and services that support business processes and data including:
- Mapping the relationships between IT platform/infrastructure components (i.e., Technology End Users, IT Desktop Software & Hardware)
- Identifying the key technology interactions and dependencies across desktops/systems/platforms impacting the organization's ability to achieve integration, compatibility, and performance targets
- Evaluating total cost of ownership and return on investment of various IT desktop/infrastructure alternatives.
Applies advanced knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education and work experience.
Responsibilities may include:
- Managing projects / processes, working independently with limited supervision.
- Coaching and reviewing the work of lower level professionals.
- Problems faced are difficult and sometimes complex.
This position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources of discomfort in a normal office environment.Job Requirements:EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Management and Information Systems (MIS) or a closely related field. EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
At least five (5) years of technology experience supporting IT infrastructure including networks, security, and hardware. System-specific technical certifications will often be required. Greater than 5 years of directly applicable experience may be considered for substitution of up to two (2) years of the education requirement. LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
None Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6. Preferences will be given to those with the following skill set:
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION
- Experience supporting IT infrastructure including operating systems, software management tools, security, and hardware (PCs and Servers).
- A minimum of 5 years of deep understanding of Windows PC operating systems
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in Office client software, preferably in a Microsoft 0365 environment
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in desktop management, preferably in a Microsoft SCCM environment.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in developing a Desktop hardware and software strategy / plan and in selecting products that support the strategy / plan.
- Ability to forecast capacity management projections.
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.SALARY INFORMATION
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
PAY GRADE: 25APPLICATION PROCEDURESOnly online applications
will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: .
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: or call ).
If you need special services or accommodations, call ). (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call .
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided. EOE Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.