We are GlobalLogic, a Hitachi Group Company.
Big Data Engineer - hybrid working London, Edinburgh or Manchester
Based across 14 countries, GlobalLogic is a leader in digital engineering. We help brands across the globe design and build innovative products, platforms, and digital experiences for the modern world. By integrating experience design, complex engineering, and data expertise - we help our clients imagine what's possible and accelerate their transition into tomorrow's digital businesses.
At GlobalLogic, we have a phenomenal track record of successfully delivering ground-breaking Cloud & Digital Transformation programmes and we have an international reach working with a wide variety of projects and customers. Our approach enables companies "build the exceptional" and be fit for purpose in the 21st century.
We hire based on personality, potential, and enthusiasm to make a difference, then we give you the tools and skills you need to follow your own path. You'll benefit by gaining exposure to a wide range of tools and technologies that you can then put into practice and become certified on various Cloud (and related) technologies that will help you to develop your own toolkit.
This role is based in our UK&I region.
As a Big Data Engineer you'll develop using languages like Python, R, etc. to transform data as well as developing data pipelines and visualisation solutions using industry recognised common tooling and expertise.
About the role:
- Accountable for the end-to-end deployment and usage for AWS data services
- Owns the AWS Data Services technical architecture: data architecture design sessions, implementation projects and/or Proofs of Concepts
- Experienced in customer facing roles and success leading deep technical architecture and design discussions with senior executives
- Interfaces with delivery teams to design AWS data services solutions in support of the over-arching analytics services solution
- Architects scalable data processing and analytics solutions, including technical feasibility for Big Data storage, processing and consumption e.g., development of enterprise Data Lake/ Data Warehouse strategy, heterogeneous data management, Polyglot Persistence, decision support over Data Lake and Data Warehouse
- Design, coordinate and execute pilots, prototypes or proof of concepts, provide validation on specific scenarios. Report on progress of business objectives; Ensure plan execution, Document and share technical best practices / insights with Engineering teams and the solution architect community
- Design data pipelines to support machine-learning solutions
About you (ideally):
- Deep understanding in both traditional and modern data architecture and processing concepts, including relational databases (e.g., MySQL, Oracle), Data warehousing, big data (Hadoop, Spark, Storm), NoSQL, and business analytics
- Demonstrated success in consultative/complex technical deployment projects (where necessary, managing various stakeholder relationships to get consensus on solutions)
- Understanding of big data use-cases and Hadoop-based design patterns, Knowledge of real time/stream analytics trends
- Experienced across architecture, design, implementation, and/or support of complex application architectures (i.e. having an architectural sense for connecting data sources, data visualization, structured and unstructured data, etc.)
- Demonstrable hands on experience implementing Big Data solutions using AWS Data Platform and AWS Data Services
- Experience operationalising end-to-end cloud analytics solutions
- Experience of creating DWH/Data lakes, orchestrating data processing activities in a data-driven workflow, monitoring and managing the data pipelines and repositories, move, transform, and analyse data
- Experience of creating and managing experiments, determining when to pre-process or train ML models, select input/output types, apply custom processing steps, and publish web services
- Designing big data real-time processing solutions
- Deep technical experience in one or more of the following areas: Software design or development, Application Design, Bigdata (Hadoop), Systems Operations / Management, Database architecture, IT Security
- Cloud Experience: AWS or GCP preferred
- Good experience of cloud migration projects
- Experience in developing and deploying solutions in cloud
- Good technical knowledge and understanding of bigdata frameworks like Hadoop, Cloudera etc.
- Experience of deployment in cloud using Terraform or CloudFormation
- Automation or Scripting experience using languages such as python & bash etc.
- Good knowledge of enterprise monitoring and monitoring in cloud
- Working knowledge with AGILE development, SCRUM and Application Lifecycle Management
- Desirable - experience in the Financial Services Sector
- Desirable - AWS Big Data Specialist or Associate Solutions Architect certification
- Desirable - Snowflake SnowPro Core certification
- Desirable - Google Cloud Data Engineer certification
- Experience with Splunk, Databricks or Snowflake
Why GlobalLogic UK&I
Our goal is to build an inclusive positive culture where everyone can feel comfortable being themselves, empowering people to create their own high standards and therefore more value. We work together to promote fairness while recognising, valuing and embracing differences - providing a transparent support structure and generous training budget to help our people develop skills to progress their career. Our region supports a hybrid model which can flex across a wide spectrum of working options determined by business, customer and individual needs.
We are an equal opportunities employer. It is our policy to promote an environment free from discrimination, harassment and victimisation. We are proud signatories to the Tech Talent Charter which was created because solving the diversity problem in tech requires a collective effort across companies and sectors - . benefit from a comprehensive health and wellness plan, private healthcare (clinical and mental wellbeing), discounted gym memberships, and in office yoga sessions and massages. We offer a fantastic benefits package including a competitive pension scheme and recognition schemes through bonus/reward initiatives. Colleagues are entitled to an annual volunteering day - so you can take time to support a cause close to your heart. We also love to stay social at our trips to the zoo, quiz nights, sports events, theatre trips and much more.