This Test Technician I - Software & IoT Testing" position is accountable to the Lead Engineer for implementing software & IoT developmental and approval. This Test Technician I position will support the installation and utilization of new test equipment and procedures for testing of embedded systems, IoT Cloud, mobile device software, and websites. This position will execute those procedures on new electronic products & devices and carry out tests on those products as needed. This position will interact with various project team members to perform and interpret software tests for products, systems, or components. The Test Technician I will develop a demonstrated understanding of the science behind test methods and be able to communicate intent and analysis of results competently. They will develop an ability to pre-emptively identify complex problem areas within product software behavior and the ability to identify and resolve problem areas within test methods, test plans, and laboratory processes. The Test Technician I will work closely with cross-functional teams to perform design validation and verification under direct supervision.
This position is directly or indirectly responsible for the following pertaining to testing and development of software on embedded systems, IoT Cloud, and mobile devices:
* Conducts testing using test procedures of varying complexity in an accurate and timely manner.
* Develops detailed reports describing method of analysis, data collected, and results achieved. Makes recommendations based on observed results.
* Integrates electronic, electrical, mechanical and software/firmware principles in a testing environment.
* Stays objective in areas of conflicting departmental priority; able to maintain course given by direct line manager.
* Demonstrates practical knowledge in embedded software system testing and IoT Cloud API testing and uses it to collaborate on test protocol development, product software design recommendations, and data analysis.
* Effectively uses experience & technical knowledge for delivering creative solutions to internal laboratory processes & projects.
* Attend design reviews as needed to answer test related questions.
* Investigates the feasibility of applying data acquisition and/or automation into manual test lab processes.
* Proactively evaluates and recommends changes to the Engineering Lab technical capabilities in response to the organization's shifting needs.
* Actively engages in learning/developmental activities, enhancing personal knowledge, skill and potential career growth.
* May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED CORE COMPETENCIES for PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL JOB FAMILY.
* Functional/Technical Expertise
* Learning Versatility
* Judgment and Decision Making
* Delivers Results
* Continuous Improvement
* Degree minimum: AAS Software Applications Development, Electronic Engineering Technology, Computer Science, or equivalent and demonstrated experience.
* Specific concentration: Software Development, Electronics, &/or Robotics
* Experience level: Entry level
SPECIALIZED TRAINING OR SKILLS REQUIRED:
* Ability to interpret engineering design documents ie. schematics, drawings, & software code. Ability to interpret communications protocols is a plus.
* Demonstrated aptitude for testing electronic devices & their software - including, ideally, embedded firmware & the interaction between embedded firmware, IoT Cloud API's, and application software (such as mobile device software and websites).
* Software and electronic circuit trouble shooting experience. Experience trouble shooting communication protocols and Cloud API's is a plus.
* Demonstrated aptitude for disassembling and properly reassembling consumer products.
* Soldering skills for board repair/modification
* Demonstrated ability to prioritize and multitask multiple job assignments.
* Proficiency in the use of standard laboratory test equipment (oscilloscopes, multimeters, spectrum analyzers, other test instrumentation and hand tools). Proficiency in the use of software test equipment is a plus (debugger/programmer, communications tracer/logger, RF monitor).