Telecommunications in the City of Napa is a function provided by the Information Technology (I.T.) Division. We support and maintain technology systems, hardware and software, that support the administrative and public safety responsibilities of the City.
The Telecommunications Technician is one of two positions, working in the Telecommunications group of I.T. Our group takes the lead and coordinates with I.T. staff resources to manage and support telephone, VHF high band radio, vehicle/portable radio, dispatch console and microwave radio systems.
Show us what you're made of with your record of achieved success in:
* Stress Tolerance- Maintaining stable performance under pressure (e.g., experiencing time pressure, conflict, or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and the organization.
* Earning Trust- Gaining others' confidence by acting with integrity and following through on commitments while disclosing own positions; treating others and their ideas with respect and supporting them in the face of challenge.
* Communications Technology- Provides support and maintenance of technology systems, hardware, and software, that support the administrative and public safety responsibilities of the City.
* Contributing to Team Success - Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
* Interpersonal Communications - Develops and maintains effective relationships with others; relates well to people from varied backgrounds and in different situations; shows understanding, courtesy, tact, empathy, and concern.
* Adaptability - Maintaining efficiency when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment (e.g., people, processes, structure, or culture); adjusting optimally to change by exploring the benefits, trying innovative tactics, and collaborating to make the change successful.
* Decision Making - Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
* Creating a Service Reputation- Crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs; responding quickly to resolve difficult customer situations and regain customer confidence.
* Engagement Readiness - Demonstrates eagerness to commit to work and to invest time, talent, and the best efforts in accomplishing organizational goals.
This recruitment and examination is being conducted to fill one full-time vacancy and may be used to fill future full-time vacancies as they occur during the active status of the employment list.The active status of this employmentlist will be at least 6 months unless abolished sooner or extended beyond that date in accordance with the Civil Service Rules.
For a full, detailed class specification, click here.
* NOTE: IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT INTERNAL CITY OF NAPA APPLICANTS USE A PERSONAL EMAIL DURING THE APPLICATION PROCESS, RATHER THAN THEIR CITY OF NAPA EMAIL IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THE NECESSARY COMMUNICATIONS.*
The City of Napa utilizes a Civil Service Selection System founded on merit. Such a system is competitive and based on broad outreach efforts and equal opportunity for qualified applicants to take part in a process designed to determine the qualifications, fitness and ability of competitors to perform duties of the vacant position. Many of our recruitments are targeted and specific to the needs of a current vacant position, in which case, an eligible list may be exclusively used for that current vacant position. Other recruitments and eligible lists may be more broadly used for both current and future vacancies, or for other alternate jobs with comparable scopes of work.
The promulgated eligibility list for this recruitment will be at least six months, unless extended or abolished sooner.
What happens next?
* We will review your application and all supplemental materials to select the best qualified applicants to continue in the process. Screening will include a review of minimum qualifications, application appraisal rating of education, training and experience and relevance of background qualifications related to the target job as well as supplemental questions if applicable.
* Applicants selected to move forward in the process may be asked to participate in any combination of the following (at any phase of the selection process): a written examination, job related exercise, phone interview, in-person interview(s), and/or web-based testing.
* Based on the City Charter, the final phase of the selection process is the Probationary Period, which in most cases issix (6)months, butmay betwelve (12) monthsdepending on your classification.
* When three or fewer candidates are available, the testing procedures outlined in the Job Announcement may be waived by the Human Resources Department.
* If you need assistance with the recruitment and selection process in Spanish, contact us at or These request will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
* Si necesita ayuda con el proceso de reclutamiento y selección en español, contáctenos al o Estas solicitudes se evaluarán caso por caso.
Reasonable Accommodations:The City of Napa Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate qualified disabled applicants. Individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation in the testing process must inform the HR Department in writing by the final filing date. A Reasonable Accommodation Request Form is available from HR and may be obtained by calling , or dial 7-1-1 for the California Relay Service, offering free text-to-speech, speech-to-speech, and Spanish-language services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The City of Napa is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace will maximize our talents to benefit the residents we serve.