Who We Are:
The Research Computing and Infrastructure Services team provides end-user computing support, infrastructure services, information technology security and risk management, research consultation, high-performance computing, and research programming to over 75 academic units in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA) - the largest of U-M's 19 schools and colleges. You will work with the Infrastructure team to create and support the servers and other IT infrastructure components delivering services to other Technology Services teams, college faculty and staff. You will report to the Infrastructure Manager in LSA Technology Services.
What you will do:
Production Support: Provide technical support and service restoration for infrastructure services provided by LSA Technology Services. The services being supported will include common web hosting services like IIS and Wordpress. Analyze, plan, and implement system maintenance, including backup and recovery strategies, software patches and upgrades. Monitor systems for availability, error conditions, backup integrity, and performance. Perform root-cause analysis by investigating, analyzing, and resolving system problems, poor performance, and error conditions. Write, maintain, patch applications/codebase used to support automation and service delivery
Service Improvements: Lead small to medium service improvements by evaluating, researching, and implementation/updates of new or existing technologies. Identify areas of service improvements and potential future enhancements based on requests and feedback.
Projects : Collaborate with and gather technical requirements with different teams to provide Infrastructure solutions for the College of LSA. Working with technical peers across the University, find or develop solutions. Develop and document procedures and maintenance plans for the team.
Proactive Administration: Collaborate with teams and advise on technical features and processing options. Contribute to system enhancements by identifying and quantifying customer requirements, delineating the gaps between customer requirements and the capabilities of existing technology. Recommend improvements in current processes.
Professional Development: Stay current with relevant advances in IT. This could include: on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, and exploratory testing. Develop and follow best practices and share knowledge.
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a Linux and Windows Systems Administrator, with demonstrated knowledge to use appropriate technology tools to perform day-to-day administration tasks (such as backup, restore, failover, log interpretation and performance monitoring) for servers
- Minimum of 1 year of experience with programming languages or scripting languages like Bash, Python or Powershell. Examples will be requested
- Familiarity with at least one of the following: IIS, MySQL or PHP configurations
- Familiarity with security and monitoring best practices
- Experience with automated configuration management such as Puppet, Ansible, Chef. Ansible is preferred
- Experience with virtualization platforms. VMware is preferred
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses.
How to Apply:
Submit your application at
A cover letter is recommended for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The target salary range for this position is $58,000-$64,000. The actual salary offered may be higher based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
- provided by Dice