At Walmart, we help people save money, so they can live better. This mission serves as the foundation for every decision we make and drives us to create the future of retail. We can't do that without the best talent - talent that is innovative, curious, and driven to create exceptional experiences for our customers.
****Staff Data Engineer - Please note that this is a Senior level role ( Sr. Manager level). Ideal candidate must have 12+ years of experience in the industry****
As part of Data Strategy and Insights Team (DS&I), this role will be an enabler of our journey to be the world's leading data-driven retailer. We are seeking an individual who will be responsible to establish robust data pipelines and services. We are looking for a highly motivated, resourceful, team-oriented individual to drive the data engineering process. Our ideal candidate is an exceptionally talented Staff Data engineer with an outstanding track record of working with very large data sets and building robust data pipelines. You will be working with structured/unstructured Data sets, building large scale Data processing platforms, implementing world class data governance and operational controls, solving complex performance challenges. This role will report up to the Senior Manager Data Engineering.
You'll make an impact by:
- Design, develop and build database to power Big Data analytical systems.
- Design data integration pipeline architecture and ensure successful creation of the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using Spark, SQL, HQL and other technologies.
- Build robust and scalable applications using SQL, Scala/Python and Spark.
- Create real time data streaming and processing using Kafka and/or Spark streaming.
- Work on creating data ingestion processes to maintain Global Data lake on Google cloud or Azure
- Engage with architects and senior technical leads to create and enhance complex software components.
- Design, configure and implement systems that can scale to process terabytes of data between heterogeneous systems on premise and cloud.
- Work with business customers, product managers and engineers to design feature-based solutions and implement them in an agile fashion.
- Develop proof-of-concept prototype with fast iteration and experimentation.
- Develop and maintain design documentation, test cases, performance and monitoring and performance evaluation using Git, Crontab, Putty, Jenkins, Maven, Confluence, ETL, Automic, Zookeeper, Cluster Manager
- Perform continuous integration and deployment using Jenkins and Git
You'll sweep us off our feet if…
- 12+ years of experience with 5+ years of Big data development experience
- Experience in HDFS, Hive, Hive UDF's, MapReduce, Druid, Spark, Python, Hue, Shell Scripting, Unix.
- Demonstrates expertise in writing complex, highly optimized queries across large data sets
- Retail experience and knowledge of commercial data is a huge plus
- Experience with BI Tool Tableau or Looker is a plus
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer - By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions - while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you'll quickly find we're a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world's most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you'll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com