Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We're working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms-and we're looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
As a software engineer on the Infrastructure Services team you'll be responsible for the entire lifecycle of Squares datacenters. You will support and extend our APIs for requesting compute resources to deliver a seamless experience for Squares engineering customers. At Square we believe that reliable and invisible infrastructure has a direct impact on overall productivity. Youll use your considerable experience in systems and development to relentlessly drive down costs and deliver robust solutions, whether they are developed in house or delivered via vendored SaaS.
You should be excited to work with Linux and hardware at scale. From performance profiling to firmware deployment you'll be working closely with Square's deployment automation and data platform teams to ensure computational resources can be managed efficiently and effectively.
- Communicate with engineering teams to assess API needs and feature prioritization
- Develop or purchase software solutions that manage the delivery of compute resources to our deployment and database systems.
- Contribute to monitoring, stability, and security of existing tools
- Participate in a team on-call rotation
- Communicate technical designs in writing and in person to multiple technical audiences
- Produce operating system environments for Squares cloud based systems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- Familiarity with the Ruby programming language and the Ruby on Rails web application framework
- Familiarity or an interest in learning the ins and outs of the Linux operating system
- Preferable experience managing large-scale cloud and bare metal data centers using software automation
- Build a deep understanding of the Linux operating system and how to automate the lifecycle of Linux-based systems at a large scale
- Help define the future of immutable operating system operations at Square
- Design the software-first approach to scaling data centers as Square continues to push into more markets around the world
- Act as a strength multiplier for software deployment and scaling efforts by product engineering
- Provide software development review and mentoring to multi-disciplinary engineering teams
- Contribute to open source software projects
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources