Job Title: Senior Technical Writer
Location: Gurgaon ,India
Directly Supervises: Manager R&D
Main purpose of role Apart from Individual contributor also mentors team members in processes and procedures, is a writing subject matter expert for assigned products, edits others’ work for technical accuracy. Does research, understands developer specifications (if more experienced), and uses hands-on testing to produce written material for customers and internal users. Is responsible for following: page layout and design, writing for the Web or help, and writing procedures.
• Maintain , enhance & drive Documentation software factory / guidelines
• Manage team of 2 - 3 tech writers
• Modernize documentation materials
Key Role Responsibilities
• Independently produces the content for existing or new documentation by performing the following tasks:
o Researches the product and any changes made to the product
o Reads Product Requirements Document (PRD) / User Stories Description and other product-related requirements
o Installs, uses and tests the software product as writing
o Attends product training as offered
o Monitors changes to the product and its schedule and determines how that affects the writing schedule
o Prepares for and attends review meetings
• Writes information for existing or new documents, including installation guides, reference guides, user guides, system administration guides, release notes, quick reference guides, Web pages, online manuals, and online help according to the documentation standards.
• The writing must meet these requirements and mentors other writers to meet these requirements:
o Follows current human factors and usability findings
o Covers the five levels of quality: accuracy, clarity, completeness, conciseness, and relevancy
o Covers the five Ws and 1 H of journalism: who, what, when, why, where, and how
o Contains task-based procedures
o Follows the company and department style and grammar requirements
o Uses correct product and industry terminology
• Proficient in Agile development with high awareness of it’s challenges and methodology. Highly experienced and skilled with Agile documentation
• Acquire document related technology/tools, observe and share knowledge with team members
• Ensures the quality of documents for assigned products while keeping customer / user perspectives
• Helps ensure that other writers follow the current company production process
• Follows current department standards, processes, procedures, and templates for individual assigned writing projects
• Submits drafts and a release version of assigned documents for review, edit, and approval by members of the project team and the department editors at defined milestones in the product development schedule. Incorporates any corrections and changes
• Follows the department procedures for releasing projects
• Highly proficient in the current company production process as it applies to technical publications
• Solves low impact to complex problems and trains other team members in the technical concept of assigned products
Skills (technical and non-technical) & Qualifications
• Expert in DITA authoring, with knowledge of other authoring frameworks like DOCBOOK, S100D, etc.
• Hands-on experience in working with DITA aware Component Content Management Systems (CMS)
• Expert content strategist, who can easily work with a content reuse strategy and further improve on it
• Hands-on experience with DITA Open Toolkit, Oxygen XML Author/Editor & Frame Maker
• Experienced in creating Scalar Vector Graphics (SVGs)
• Experienced in rendering multiple format outputs, like, pdf, xhtml, java help, kindle guides, etc from the same source
• Knowledge of XSLT
• Experience using basic Linux
• Understanding of software development life cycle and associated best practices. Should have worked in complete lifecycle of at least 4-5 significant projects with Agile methodology.
• Knowledge of any version control tool for development environment.
• Demonstrated strong initiative, ownership, communication and teamwork skills
• Technical writing leadership skills is a must
• Good problem solving skills & aware of latest writing trends
• Demonstrate strong English language skills both verbal and written
• Passionate and quick learner
• Good working attitude & willingness to learn & grow
• Works independently and a self-starter
• Has the ability to plan a project and then schedule work time to ensure completion of writing on the agreed to delivery date with help from a lead writer.
• Able to coordinate own and others efforts on multiple projects simultaneously
• Possesses strong communication, mentoring, and coordination skills.
• Ability to work with both internal and external stakeholders across various departments and levels to gain their cooperation and gather information.
• Possesses strong research skills, the ability to perform independent research on own technologies and targeted industries
• Answers questions about UNIX skills such as file structure, file manager, path names, and directory navigation. Can perform these basic UNIX tasks and assist others to do the same. Able to perform more advanced level tasks as super user, such as restarting the server, changing ownership of directories and files, killing processes, and moving and creating files at server level.
• Grasps very technical concepts and presents them in a clear and organized manner.
• Possesses strong writing and illustration skills.
• Learns from mistakes and incorporates learning into the next project, continuous improvement/development of required skills
• Studies subjects required for technical writing. Shows strong potential. Learns quickly.
• Worked on Telecom Software development Projects
• Working experience with JIRA/Confluence or any similar tools.
• Experience working in US or Europe is a plus
Experience & Expertise
Between 7 to 10 years in Technical writing (Minimum of 7 years’ experience in Technical Writing with at least 5 years in a software environment.)
Academic Qualification : Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Communications, Technical Writing, technical field, or equivalent experience ( Education must be from reputed Institution like IITs/NIT/
/Govt & Govt aided Engg colleges/ Universities or Colleges of well repute).
-Visibility & Understanding of end to end product documentation Presentation & its making modular, reusable structure
-High proficiency in both written & oral communication
-Able to work & meet the need of Agile team
-Able to work with multinational team across different time zones
-DITA & FM expertise
-Ability to guide & mentor technical writers
Top 5 objectives
1. Maintain , enhance & drive Documentation software factory / guidelines according to current department standards, processes, procedures, and templates
2. Modernize documentation materials & make it more modular & reusable.
3. Independently manage and write information for existing documents, including installation guides, reference guides, user guides, system administration guides, release notes, quick reference guides, Web pages, online manuals, and online help according to the documentation standards.
4. The writing must fulfil the following requirements:
a. Covers the five levels of quality: accuracy, clarity, completeness, conciseness, and relevancy
b. Covers the 5Ws 1H of journalism: who, what, when, why, where, and how
c. Contains task-based procedures
d. Follows the company and department style and grammar requirements
e. Uses correct product and industry terminology
5. Liaising with Product Management and other Agile teams, understand & work on delivery of different documentation need