What is the Job:
Sr. Software Engineer. This role centers on building and operating critical Platform-layer content delivery services of Twitter, including the Home and Profile Tweet timelines.
Why it Matters:
The Timelines Infrastructure team is responsible for the leading edge of Twitter's Product Platform, which the User Experience is built upon, and which defines the future of how Twitter product development happens. Among many things, we create the API and infrastructure that powers the Home Timeline - the Tweet feeds our customers interact with every day.
What you'll be doing:
- Creating, improving, and rewriting the core systems that serve timelines to hundreds of millions of users every day
- Collaborating with engineers across the company, including Timelines Health, Conversations, Search Infrastructure, as well as Client and Infrastructure Platform teams
- Accelerating the pace of product development by developing platforms and tools to make building features simpler and easier
- Optimizing and scaling up an array of production services serving over a million requests per second
- Owning specific problems related to our Platform architecture, and being given the resources, support, and autonomy to drive solutions
- Mentoring and developing more junior engineers
What it takes:
- Proficiency with one or more languages used for Back End systems, eg Scala, Java, C/C++, C#, Python, Ruby, Go (Scala a plus)
- 5+ years of experience shipping production software
- Experience with building or operating distributed systems and asynchronous programming
- Strong computer science fundamentals, algorithms, and data structures background
- Model of software engineering best practices, including agile development, unit testing, code reviews, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting
- Experience designing, improving, and debugging a complex system
- Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate in computer science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
Who we are:
Twitter serves the public conversation by encouraging people all over the world to connect, learn, debate, and tackle problems together. Joining the team today means you'll make the conversations of tomorrow possible. It's not always easy, but nothing worth doing ever is.
The Timelines Infrastructure team creates the delivery platform powering the intersection of content, users, and the environment they're in. It is the logistics layer for content at Twitter, handling the flow of core Twitter content from between the point of creation and the point of consumption. Timelines Infrastructure is also responsible for the perspectival serving of Twitter content - that is, we own the relationship between content and users.
We support most product development at Twitter, constantly looking out for patterns to generalize, so we can then offer new platform and infrastructure primitives that support reliable and resilient new product features. These primitives manifest as high scale external public and private APIs, as well as internal APIs and infrastructure that form much of the core product infrastructure for Twitter.