Iridium is an award-winning and innovative satellite communications company with bragging rights to the only network that offers voice and data connectivity anywhere in the world.For over 20 years, Iridiums unique network and services have supported critical communications needs for individuals, businesses, and the evolving Internet of Things.
At Iridium, we understand the importance of staying connected and the limitations of traditional communications networks. People across the globe, including first responders, humanitarians, global militaries, scientific researchers, and lone workers, as well as ships, aircraft and remote operations all rely on Iridium to stay connected. We take our responsibility for providing these essential communications very seriously and pride ourselves on offering a reliable lifeline when needed.Likewise, Iridium is committed to providing an exciting and innovative workplace, where employees are challenged to think outside the box and collaborate on new, bold ideas and solutions.Our talented teams are passionate about their work and the impact our company makes around the world.Iridium fosters an empowering and inclusive culture that allows employees to genuinely be their best selves.We are looking for others who want to join this truly unique company that celebrates our employees and provides the opportunity to truly make a difference in the world.
Position Summary, Job Requirements & Responsibilities:
Iridium seeks a stand-out senior software engineer to join a global development team to enhance and sustain the source code used in our mobile products and associated engineering tools. Experience developing software for embedded systems, software technical leadership, software systems integration, and agile methods are critical to success in this position. Ideal candidate will be passionate about creating reliable and robust products, interested in the long-term success of their work, and highly self-reliant. Additional essential responsibilities are detailed below
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and develop embedded software for Iridium transceivers using Agile methodologies
- Responsible for sharing expertise/best practices with colleagues and team members
- Quickly become knowledgeable on core components of Iridium Transceiver software
- Investigate and resolve field-reported product issues
- Perform acceptance reviews of work performed by team members
- Work collaboratively with multi-sited global teams of software, hardware, and system development engineers
- Work cross functionally to instill a strong culture of product quality within the organization
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to clearly convey information to groups outside of your team or those who are unfamiliar with the topic
- Have confidence and be able to easily build relationships with leadership and colleagues outside of your team
- Possess an analytical mindset, with the ability to understand a situation or problem and think critically to make decisions and come up with out-of-the-box solutions
- Be proactive in providing feedback and be enthusiastic in sharing your knowledge with others
- Capable of prioritizing your own tasks and potentially the tasks of others while making sure deadlines are met
- Results driven with strong sense of ownership.
- Ability to identify and champion continuous improvement opportunities.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to self-start and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to travel internationally 15 to 30 days annually.
Experience & Education Requirements / EEO:
Required Experience & Education Requirements
- BS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering
- 8+ years of relevant experience
- 3+ years of full stack embedded software development
- 3+ years of experience with C and Python programming languages
- Experience using Linux command-line interfaces.
- Experience using Agile methods including Scrum or Kanban.
- Demonstrated understanding of software production via continuous integration.
- Demonstrated understanding of best practices for software version control.
- Working knowledge of RF communication systems and protocols
- Working knowledge of bash, make, and similar languages.
Desired Experience & Education Requirements
- Exposure to Atlassian software management tools (JIRA or Bamboo etc)
- Experience with Technical Leadership for embedded systems software development
- Experience with Subversion version control system preferred.
- Experience working with remote global teams.
Iridium requires all employees/new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to starting work. Iridium is an equal opportunity employer and will consider requests for exemption from this policy as a reasonable accommodation where it can do so absent undue hardship, consistent with federal, state, and local law.
Iridium is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or status as a protected veteran. EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability and other protected categories.