Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Circa £40,000 - £45,000 per annum
Fixed term contract up to 2 years
Stevenage, Herts / Hybrid working
What if you joined a forward-thinking team delivering best in class technology solutions?
What if you were a key part of our transitional journey towards our future infrastructure ambitions?
What if you were our Senior Infrastructure Engineer?
At the IET, making our world a better place starts by creating a better place for our people. At IET and you'll have more than just a job. Our work is exciting and challenging, connecting the people who solve the problems that matter. It means working with us has real meaning and impact, and you'll grow - professionally and personally - in ways you never thought possible. We're also making significant investments in our people, including providing a modern, vibrant workplace and embracing hybrid working.
What you'll be doing
The IET IT and Digital Services Department is made up of five teams covering operations, change delivery, strategy, enterprise architecture and data protection and we're running a range of infrastructure and software development upgrade projects requiring ongoing project management support.
The role will be at the heart of both our proven traditional infrastructure and services and the transitional journey towards our future on premise and cloud platforms. We need an individual who can think on their feet, roll their sleeves up and get into detail, whilst working as part of a forward-looking team focused on the delivery of best in class solutions through timely and appropriate use of technology.
What we hope you can bring to the role
You will be a natural problem solver with strong knowledge and experience with multiple infrastructure solutions and the ability diagnose and resolve complex hardware, software, and connectivity problems. You'll have experience in an Agile working environment and the ability to work with project teams and technical teams to understand both business needs and technical requirements, as well as working with Developers to support a DevOps streamlined development process using the Agile methodology.
We'd love to get to know you
Is Imposter syndrome creeping in? Don't worry - we'd rather hear from you this time than not hear from you at all! Read on for a little more information about the role; but also, keep in mind that we're open to discussing flexible ways of working, including reduced hours and working in an agile way, supported by a hybrid working framework that allows you to find the best place to do your best work.
A little more about the role
- Experience supporting a complex infrastructure hosting business critical applications in a secure and highly available environment.
- Ability to problem solve, either alone or part of a team, and escalate to third parties or senior management as necessary, in line with agreed SLAs.
- Requires strong knowledge and experience with multiple infrastructure solutions, with a demonstratable ability to function in this environment (relevant industry certification is preferred).
- ITIL v3 Foundation Certification.
- Agile Certification or exposure and be able to work with sprint planning tool to manage current workloads and plan short term future works.
- Ability to support multiple systems or applications of medium to high complexity (complexity defined by size, technology used, and system feeds and interfaces) with multiple concurrent users, ensuring control, integrity, and accessibility.
- Ability to work with project teams and technical teams to understand both business needs and technical requirements, as well as working with Developers to support a DevOps streamlined development process using the Agile methodology.
- Good communication skills with both IT colleagues and colleagues around the wider business.
- Experience working with platform monitoring systems, ensuring monitoring is kept up-to-date and relevant as systems change, as well as responding as necessary to alerts and other feedback from the monitoring system (including providing recommendations of potential improvements)
- Ability to participate in short- and long-term project efforts with stakeholders and IT groups.
A little more about what we're looking for
- Experience of Microsoft such as Windows 10, Office 365, Exchange, Intune, Active Directory, Windows Server OS, Azure PASS/IAAS
- Experience with Firewalls, Web Application Firewalls and Antivirus software such as Cisco, Kaspersky, VMware
- Basic PowerShell
- Experience with back up systems such as UniTrends
- Experience with monitoring and tracking tools such as Jira, SolarWinds
What if you could be you? The IET is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To find out more, head over to our 'Work for the IET' site.