Overview of role
Role falls inside of IR35 so is paid PAYE/ Umbrella only
A Telecoms Engineer within the TFL Engineering team, supporting the delivery of telecoms asset renewals, enhancements or wide project upgrades within LO (London Overground) stations. The role holder will provide specialist operational telecoms discipline engineering support within a multidisciplinary team and will have accountabilities ranging from project scoping and technical requirements definition to production of design material, compliance evidence and interdisciplinary design co-ordination. Particular experience and expertise is required relating the design, commissioning and maintenance of station Public Address / Public Address Voice Alarm, CCTV (viewing and recording) systems, passenger help point systems, customer information systems, station management systems, operational technology (OT) LANs and OT WANs. The role holder will be expected to manage numerous consecutive delivery packages to support ambitious programme delivery dates and will ensure compliance to TfL's or Network Rail's standards as appropriate are maintained throughout.
Key Accountabilities & Duties
· Develop telecommunications design documentation (reports, schedules, drawings) against client requirements to deliver cost effective and technically viable solutions.
· Produce technical specifications / outline designs / scopes of work for telecommunications assets and systems to deliver the agreed scope at a suitable level to progress onwards contractual engagement.
· Ensure compliance with applicable TfL standards, industry standards, specifications and procedures.
· Contribute to successful systems integration through co-ordination with relevant disciplines and parties.
· Provide telecommunications technical advice and expertise to the wider project team.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
This is a role which requires candidates to possess all the skills, knowledge and experience of delivering modifications and renewals to existing telecommunications infrastructure without the need for TfL to develop required capability.
· Ability to analyse complex data, draw conclusions, produce reports and make recommendations to senior management.
· Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with people at all levels across the organisation and externally.
· Ability to build effective working relationships, with people at all levels across the organisation and externally and to influence.
· Ability to plan, implement and manage projects to deliver to time, budget and quality.
· Ability to use office based computer packages, e.g. MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) in a common engineering capacity.
Knowledge of the following within the transportation industry. Specific experience of telecommunications systems design and deployment within London Overground is highly desirable.
· TfL and Network Rail standards relating to operational telecoms assets.
· Surveillance CCTV (analogue and IP) - specification, configuration, spatial deployment and integration with other systems.
· Public Address/Voice Alarm systems - specification, configuration, spatial deployment, integration with other systems and acoustics.
· Station Passenger Help Point (PHP systems - specification, configuration, spatial deployment and integration with other systems.
· Station visual Customer Information Systems (CIS) - specification, configuration, spatial deployment and integration with other systems.
· Station Management Systems (SMS) - operational review, specification and integration with other systems.
· OT LAN and OT WAN - specification, configuration, security risk management and integration with other systems.
· Maintenance requirements and good industry practice.
· Safety legislation and operating rules and regulations.
· Designer responsibilities under CDM regulations.
· Methods and practices of undertaking quality inspections and site investigations.
· Technical and delivery risk management principles.
· Extensive working experience within the Operational Telecoms domain, preferably within London Overground environments delivering small, medium and large scale project works.
· Experience of working in a construction or engineering environment.
· Wide experience of providing professional and technical advice, guidance and support on telecommunications delivery projects.
· Experience of carrying out technical document review and analysis.
· Experience of building relationships with, and influencing, a range of people at all levels within and outside the organisation.
Central London, notwithstanding adhering to Public Health England advice on working from home unless specifically required to visit site (under TfL Covid-19 safe systems of work).
Role holder will have a delivery reporting line into the Senior Project Engineer within the project with line management by TfL Central Engineering Telecoms team. The role holder will not manage other staff.
Fusion People are committed to promoting equal opportunities to people regardless of age, gender, religion, belief, race, sexuality or disability. We operate as an employment agency and employment business.
You'll find a wide selection of vacancies on our website