Peraton is seeking an RF Communications Group Technical Lead in Las Cruces, New Mexico at the National Aeronautics Space Administration (NASA) White Sands Complex (WSC) to support the Space Network operations. You'll support NASA programs that integrate with state-of-the-art RF satellite communications systems and technologies. Your assignments will include a variety of systems engineering tasks such as development and decomposition of requirements, development of systems to meet specified requirements and system performance analyses using modeling and simulation techniques.
Peraton is the prime contractor for NASA at the White Sands Complex (WSC) near Las Cruces, New Mexico. Operating here are two functionally identical satellite ground terminals: The White Sands Ground Terminal, and the Second TDRSS Ground Terminal. These ground terminals ensure uninterrupted communications between various ground stations, NASA's orbiting fleet of Tracking and Data Relay Satellites (TDRS), customer spacecraft (satellites), and the computer systems that support such spacecraft. WSC serves as an interface for distributing satellite data to control centers and scientists who then use the daily influx of data to expand our ever-growing knowledge of the Earth and the universe.
What you'll do
The selected candidate will serve in both technical and supervisory roles within the RF Communications Group. The group is comprised of the Lead and approximately 10 engineers.
- Develop, decompose and evaluate system requirements
- Perform communications analyses including link budget assessments for radio frequency and optical space communications systems
- Evaluate potential optical communication architectures and ground station locations
- Develop engineering documentation for the installation of new and/or modification of existing electronic systems that meet defined requirements
- Ensure that technical, budget and schedule requirements are met through new or modified designs
- Oversee system modifications to ensure implementation is executed according to design documentation
- Develop and execute test plans and procedures
- Maintain system documentation to accurately reflect the configuration baseline
- Provide trouble-shooting assistance in isolating and correcting unusual hardware problems
- Provide technical oversight of the RF Communications Group
- Plan and coordinate the work of assigned engineers
- Enhance communications by facilitating team meetings and attending meetings of interest to the Hardware Engineering department
- Participate in the candidate selection process and make hiring recommendations
- Develop and train subordinates
- Conduct performance evaluations, recommend salary actions and promotions, interpret and apply organization policies, and monitor and resolve personnel issues
- Assist in the development of departmental forecasting and reporting products
- Perform other duties as assigned
You'd be a great fit if you have
- Bachelor's Degree in electrical engineering, physics, computer science, engineering, mathematics, or other related technical field.
- 10+ years of experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Satellite ground system or other RF communications engineering
- RF wireless communications systems definition and analysis, including link analyses
- Experience with RF satellite communications systems parameters and their impact on link performance
- Analytical and problem-solving techniques
- Creating technical documents and delivering presentations
- Familiarity with NASA, DoD, or other agency systems engineering processes.
- Ability to obtain a SECRET security clearance.
It'd be even better if you
- Previous experience in the WSC RF Communications Group.
- Previous experience with the NASA Space Network
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- An active SECRET security clearance.
What you'll get
- An immediately-vested 401(K) with employer matching
- Rapid PTO accrual schedule with floating holidays
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Tuition assistance, financing, and refinancing
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Company-paid infertility treatments
- Cross-training and professional development opportunities
- The ability to influence major initiatives
This position requires the candidate to be able to obtain and maintain a secret security clearance. In order to obtain a clearance you need to be a US Citizen and show proof of citizenship.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.