Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott's life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations - with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Lake Forest, IL currently has an opportunity for a Principal Cloud Infrastructure Engineer.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
This is a technical role with the candidate expected to be a critical contributor to building compelling informatics products within Abbott's Diagnostics Division. The individual will participate the development of system and software architecture to support informatics development programs from concept through launch. She/he will also be responsible for supporting on-market products post-launch. The individual is responsible for identifying components, frameworks and best-in-class patterns for integration within the software products.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Responsible for design and development of cloud infrastructure on public cloud.
- Responsible for executing the various software development lifecycle (SDLC) activities - user stories, use cases, software requirements, design, development and design verification (incl. unit, functional and system testing).
- Responsible for developing test plans and test cases for software components.
- The individual is responsible for root cause analysis including troubleshooting of informatics work products during development and for on-market products.
- Will be responsible for creating and maintaining documentation for the artifacts created during the SDLC.
- Ensuring continuous improvement and evolution of software work products.
- The individual should independently conceive plans and implement development artifacts (requirements, analysis, design, documentation and software work products) as needed to meet program goals.
- The individual may travel occasionally per needs of the assigned project.
Position Accountability / Scope
- The individual is responsible for the design, development and commercialization of informatics products in compliance with internal policies and procedures, both US and Foreign regulatory standards and requirements.
- The individual will be accountable for the architecture of one or more informatics products as assigned on individual programs.
- The individual is accountable for the successful implementation and support of software architecture on development projects and on-market products.
- Provides assessment of technical risks on informatics programs and on-market products.
- Work closely with software developers on the implementation of the architecture and applications that are deployed on the architecture.
- Prior experience operating in Scrum-based development teams.
- Will work with a broad range of technologists and support personnel both within and outside of Abbott.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor's degree in one or more following disciplines: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Informatics, Symbolic Systems, Mathematics or Physics. An advanced degree in one of the above disciplines is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a software development role. Technology and tools dependent on project.
- Experience building cloud infrastructure on public clouds such as AWS, Google or Azure.
- Working knowledge with infrastructure as code tools such as Terraform, AWS CloudFormation, Ansible etc.
- Working knowledge in container and container orchestration technologies (Kubernetes or Docker Swarm).
- Good understanding of the Linux operating system and internals.
- Working knowledge of DevOps/SRE is desirable.
- A prior experience in systems programming is desirable.
- Possess good oral and written communication skills.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully:
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.