I.M. Systems GroupLocation:
US-MD-College ParkJob ID:
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG) is seeking a candidate to support the Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) in carrying out research, development, and operational transition work related to satellite data assimilation and Artificial Intelligence (AI) techniques and applications for future operational applications of the Unified Forecast System (UFS). The candidate's work will involve the development, execution, testing, and evaluation of the assimilation of satellite data and applying AI techniques for use in operational hurricane prediction capabilities at NCEP. The work location is at the NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP) in College Park, MD.Responsibilities
The candidate will perform the job duties in a high-quality, independent, and collaborative way, assisting in managing projects and developing and applying innovative methods for the primary work areas described below. The candidate will work with EMC scientists and external collaborators to develop satellite radiance data and wind data assimilation capabilities including scatterometer winds and 3D winds in FV3GFS and HWRF/HAFS. The work includes the evaluation and application of AI techniques, developed by external partners, to select the observations to assimilate more intelligently for use in applications of the UFS, with emphasis on Tropical Cyclone (TC) analysis, forecast track and forecast intensity. Future assimilation related developments will leverage and contribute to the Joint Center for Satellite Data Assimilation, including the Joint Effort for Data assimilation Integration (JEDI) project.
The successful candidate will work in the following areas:
- Provide support for currently assimilated infrared and microwave radiances for operational application at NCEP.
- Develop new or enhance existing techniques for the improved assimilation of satellite data including but not limited to:
- Radiance data assimilation and wind data assimilation including scatterometer winds and 3D winds.
- Leveraging externally developed AI algorithms and techniques to improve the selection and integration of satellite based observations.
- Validation and verification activities on new DA techniques with respect to tropical cyclone genesis, rapid intensification, and forecasts.
- Design, setup, and execute impact assessment and pre-implementation testing to facilitate possible transition to operations
- Improve upon quality control, bias correction, and/or observation error specification to enhance the assimilation of satellite radiance data and provide comparison between traditional DA techniques and DA using AI.
A Master's Degree or higher in atmospheric sciences or meteorology, mathematics, or related physical science with at least 2 years of experience in tropical cyclone forecast (modeling) and analysis systems.
Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and abilities in the following areas:
- Knowledge of data assimilation with focus on the satellite radiance assimilation for numerical weather prediction. Familiarity with variational data assimilation.
- Advanced knowledge of the physical and mathematical basis of geophysical modeling (atmospheric and/or environmental) and experience running advanced numerical weather prediction (NWP) models..
- Advanced knowledge of radiative transfer and experience with radiative transfer modeling for data assimilation, such as the Community Radiative Transfer Model (CRTM) or Radiative Transfer for TOVS (RTTOV)
- Experience in model development in various infrastructures like the Earth System Modeling Framework (ESMF) and NOAA Environmental Modeling System (NEMS)
- Advanced knowledge and experience of modern programming languages such as object-oriented FORTRAN, Python, and/or C++
- Experience working in a UNIX environment with advanced scripting languages
- Experience in working with HPC platforms (MPI, OpenMP, Slurm, LSF, etc.)
- Modern software engineering practices (requirements gathering, design, prototyping, version control, integration, testing, and documentation).
Desired knowledge, skills and abilities:
Candidates must be a U.S. Citizen or Green Card Holder to qualify (US Citizen must live in US for 3-5 years prior to application) (please indicate in your cover letter). To Apply
- Knowledge of advanced Artificial Intelligence (AI) and/or Machine Learning (ML)
- Experience in model testing and evaluation and/or knowledge of verification principles.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment on complex problems.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English
- Demonstrated skill in performing tasks requiring organization and attention to detail.
Please apply online at . In your cover letter, please indicate the following information:
1) Timeline of availability
2) Citizenship Status
3) Salary requirements for considerations
NOTE: Provide three References
IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Veteran and Disability friendly.
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision