Are you a creative and inventive engineer looking to research cyber vulnerabilities?
Do you have experience crafting exploits on Android or iOS devices including experimenting with public jailbreaks?
Are you passionate about developing novel solutions to complex engineering challenges?
If so, we want you to join our team of hardworking individuals and embrace opportunities in the diverse environment that we have to offer.
We are seeking motivated individuals who will develop tailored Android or iPhone software at all layers including the kernel level. Our team is comprised of hardworking engineers and scientists who analyze devices to understand how they work and how they behave when hacked. We strive to foster an environment of collaboration within teams working on leading edge technologies while developing and defeating new and advanced security techniques.
As a member of our team, you will...
- Hack iOS or Android hardware, firmware, and software.
- Collaborate with team members in the analysis and reverse engineering of mobile platforms to understand security vulnerabilities.
- Build solutions for prototype and operational systems using knowledge gained from reverse engineering and vulnerability research.
- Circulate knowledge by articulating ideas clearly through papers and presentations to technical staff, management, and government decision makers.
We are looking for exceptional team members that have attained a degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related technical degree.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have acquired a Bachelor's degree and have 4 years of relevant professional experience.
- Understand the internals of Android/iOS, exploitation techniques, and mitigations.
- Have experience reading or writing Arm assembly.
- Are skilled in developing software/firmware for Android, iOS, or other cellular devices.
- Hold a DoD Secret Clearance. You will be subjected to a government security investigation, and you should meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information up to the Secret level. Eligibility requirements include US citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have obtained a Master's degree or possess 7 years of professional experience in a relevant area.
- Have strong C/Arm assembly development skills.
- Have used debuggers such as gdb or lldb, and you have worked with reverse engineering tools such as IDA, Binary Ninja, or Ghidra.
- Understand wire-level protocols or radio frequency communications.
- Hold a TS/SCI clearance with full-scope polygraph.
- Have prior experience working with government agencies or in a government agency setting.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.