"We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation."
Ocado Technology is putting the world's retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, the world's largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ' Ocado Smart Platform '. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
As part of our effort to be in the vanguard of robotics research, the team is involved in the European Union funded Horizon 2020 research project with a number of leading European Universities and industries.
H2020 project PROTEIN is a research initiative led by a consortium of European public- and private-sector organizations working to promote health and wellbeing. The overall objective of the PROTEIN research project is to promote healthy lifestyles in order to improve the general state of health of the European population, using the latest technologies to offer advanced personalization tools for nutrition and physical activity plans.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our Robotics Research Team, working on the development and engineering of mobile application for a personalised nutrition for healthy and contributing to the H2020 PROTEIN project.
What will you do?
As a Developer in the team, you will:
- Take part in the development of a front-end mobile shopping application for the PROTEIN project on a native Android platform.
- Take an active role in the choice of techniques adopted for the mobile application development
- Ensure the performance, quality, and responsiveness of mobile applications
- Collaborate with the team and other project consortium members to set specifications for the mobile applications
- Work and analyse the performance of the application based on the analytics
- Conduct functional and non-functional testing like load, security and performance
- Provide documentation of the system architecture and operation
- Attend regular meetings, including European travel, to facilitate system hand-over
- Work closely with other team members and stakeholders on issues relating to performance and integration requirements
What we would like you to know:
We see as the following as 'must haves':
- 2:1 or 1st class degree (or equivalent experience) in one of the following subjects: Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Systems Engineering
- Good problem solving, analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- In-depth knowledge of Android SDK and other Android development tools e.g. Android IDE, Eclipse
- Solid knowledge of mobile user interface development
- Ability to design optimal user experience workflows, familiarity with InVision
- Experience with content presentation languages e.g. Java, Kotlin
- Working knowledge of RESTful services
- Ability to develop easy to port and refactor code
- Ability to write secure, clean, maintainable and reusable code
- Familiarity with source control systems and continuous integration tools e.g. Git, Maven, Travis, Jenkins
- Understanding or experience working on native iOS projects or features
Having these will make you stand out from the crowd:
- Experience working on cutting-edge research or innovation projects
- Good understanding of the full mobile development life cycle
- Experience working with Agile methodologies
- Solid understanding of object-oriented development, design patterns and data driven development
- Knowledge of Swift, Objective-C and iOS SDK or interest in learning and developing skills as iOS mobile developer
- Other software development skills of interest are those applicable to real-time systems and multi-tasking/multi-threading
What can we offer you?
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we've ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.