Does a career focused on changing the world's energy future intrigue you? If so, we might have just the opportunity you're looking for!
Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) Cybercore group is seeking forward-thinking professionals interested in exploring a technical career as a Cyber Security Researcher.
The Cyber Security Researcher will support the National and Homeland Security Directorate with engineering, reverse engineering, development and maintenance of custom code used to analyze security vulnerabilities/network traffic in specialized systems and proprietary protocols.
* Participates in support of operations and personnel at government and WFO locations, conducts research, monitoring and analysis of current and emerging threats directed at network infrastructure targets from both internal and external sources. Understands and documents topologies for intricate security relationships, and makes security architecture recommendations that will improve security programs/posture.
* Develops attack and defense methodology and code on high risk computer networks.
* Develops technical solutions for information operations and analysis related to national security topics, intrusion analysis, systems and vulnerabilities, network security, advanced analytic tools and data visualization techniques. Works with peers and mentors/develops as a junior engineers to identify security issues of existing platforms and applications.
* Develops algorithms and methods for detecting and preventing network attacks. Develops and maintains code to find weaknesses in systems and to verify patch effectiveness. Assists and/or conducts penetration testing and vulnerability assessments. Performs analysis and/or reverse engineering of suspect source code. Writes scripts and develops software utilities to automate security analysis efforts.
* Works with customers as part of a team to develop requirements, produce/test code, and provide necessary documentation. Participates in project teams to produce proposals for new work including joint projects with industry. Provides a positive and effective customer interface. Effective communication skills (verbal, written) are also required.
* Participates in the development of significant new concepts or novel approached to Cyber Security.
* Level 1: Bachelor's Degree
* Must be a US citizen and have the ability and willingness to obtain and maintain a "Q" clearance with appropriate signmas and SCI clearance.
* Outstanding C programming skills with an ability to code in assembly as necessary.
* Strong understanding of Linux, Solaris, and Windows based operating systems and development tool-sets.
* Strong background in searching and sorting algorithms, decision trees, and/or memory management.
* Familiarity with Zero Day exploits.
* Familiarity with packet level programming.
* Strong personal (hobby) interest in computers, computer and system security and programming as well as academic training.
* Salary Grade: 210
* Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on depth and breadth of proven experience and skills
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see .
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
Benefits, Salary, and Relocation:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and phenomenal benefits. For more information, please visit: .