SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.AVIONICS HARDWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER (SATELLITE R&D)
The spacecraft engineering team in Hawthorne is growing to support our R&D satellite programs that are pushing the boundaries of in-space capabilities. Our missions support scientific research, classified national security space and commercial opportunities. As we grow our classified mission manifest, we are looking for hardware development engineers to join our team.
On the electrical design team, you have the exciting opportunity to be responsible for flight hardware! You will demonstrate extreme ownership and a deep understanding of your hardware through detailed and thorough design, hardware bring-up/characterization/testing, and requirements generation/verification and by seeing your hardware through all aspects of its life cycle. With a quickly growing program, there is a wide range of engaging opportunities from blank-sheet design through on-orbit troubleshooting. You will also work with many cross-disciplinary teams and be required to think at a system level to ensure that your design is viable and to help drive the mission to success. Our development timelines are aggressive and you will need to rigorously explore solutions for previously unsolved or unknown problems.
We're looking for people who want to dive in and get their hands dirty and those who are not afraid to make important decisions and do due diligence to provide data driven rationale. Every day we push the limits of what is possible through innovation, determination, and teamwork and we're only just beginning.
An active Top Secret security clearance, or the ability to obtain one, is desired but not required. RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ultimate ownership of ensuring successful operation of bus and payloads on orbit via the avionics suite
- Electrical architecture and design, product requirements, component selection, analysis, schematic capture, and documentation
- Flight production, development prototyping, vendor selection, and manufacturing
- Circuit and full product bring-up, debugging, troubleshooting, and confidence, acceptance and qualification testing
- Delivering flight hardware on time and active project management through schedule maintenance and status reports
- Integration, full vehicle integrated testing, on-orbit operations support, and data review
- Multidisciplinary coordination with software, firmware, mechanical, PCB layout, environments, integration, harnessing, test, manufacturing, and production teams to deliver fully functional product
- System engineering efforts to ensure design meets all intents and does not adversely impact other groups or designs
- Drive improvements in reliability and capabilities while minimizing cost and schedule
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or physics
- 2+ years of professional experience designing and delivering electrical hardware
- Master's degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or similar engineering degree
- 4+ years of professional experience rapidly designing and delivering highly reliable products
- 2+ years of electronic product experience designing electrical hardware from concept through production; strong emphasis on full life cycle development of new hardware products, not small incremental updates to legacy hardware
- 2+ years of experience designing and implementing mixed-signal circuit boards from concept through production using processors, FPGAs, Ethernet, multi-GHz Serdes, DRAM interfaces (DDR4), I2C, SPI, operational amplifiers, analog to digital and digital to analog converters, and power supply components
- 2+ years of professional experience with hands on testing, troubleshooting and debugging electronics
- 2+ years of professional experience with fast-paced projects
- Strong understanding of computers and programming languages (Python, C/C++)
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional role
- Ability to work in an autonomously driven and demanding startup atmosphere
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and human spaceflight
- Active Top Secret or Top Secret SCI clearance, or ability to obtain one desired but not required
- An active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions; if so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here .
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at .