General Dynamics Mission Systems/Viz has an immediate opening for a Principal Cloud DevOps & Infrastructure Engineer at our Pittsburgh operations. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation's core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
Responsibilities for this Position
As a Senior Cloud DevOps Architect, you will:
- Guide internal customers on how to configure and deploy PaaS infrastructure consisting of identity and access management, network architecture, application security, logging, monitoring, deployment and more.
- Collaborate with Software Architects on how to best design their cloud applications for optimal scaling including content caching, compute optimizations, continuous integration and delivery pipeline, load balancer setup, and more.
- Interface with internal and external customers to deploy solutions and deliver workshops to educate and empower them.
- Work closely with Project Management to build and constantly drive excellence in our solutions.
- Guide engineering teams in evolving Cloud technologies.
In this role, you are the Platform Engineer working with Critical internal and external Platform Consumers. Together with the team, you will support successful implementation of Application PaaS in the Cloud through architecture guidance, best practices, data migration, implementation, troubleshooting, monitoring, and more.
Candidates should have demonstrated strengths and experience in some of the following areas:
- Experience working with, or are familiar with the differences between, public, private, and mixed cloud environments.
- Container technologies such as Docker, or LXC.
- Deployment of continuous integration and continuous deployment technologies such as Jenkins, Puppet, or Chef.
- Experience maintaining production-grade applications in virtualized environments (cloud computing platforms and services).
- Scripting languages such as Bash, Groovy, Python, Powershell, and/or Scala.
- Effective communication and attention to detail.
Other beneficial experience:
- IT security practices or DevSecOps including encryption, certificates, key management, patch management, STIG, RMF, or security hardening, and auditing.
- Installation of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) technologies such as Amazon Web Services, OpenStack, RHOSP, or VIO.
- Amazon Web Services.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS) technologies such as Kubernetes, Rancher, or OpenShift.
- Cloud automation tooling such as Ansible, Terraform, Terragrunt, or Packer.
- Open source server, messaging, load balancing, and database software (such as RabbitMQ, Redis, Elasticsearch).
- Scalable networking technologies such as Load Balancers (NGINX)/Firewalls and web standards (REST APIs, web security mechanisms).
GD Viz Overview
Do you like knowing that your work has life-saving value? Do you like the squeak of dry-erase markers on a giant white-board, or a lively debate about a user's optimal experience, or the view of the South Side slopes, or the autonomy to accomplish your goals as you see fit, or board game lunches? Do you like the kind of day where you learn so many new skills that your brain feels like it just ate Thanksgiving dinner? Sound intriguing? Viz is looking for people like you: smart, creative, and fun.
We make software that interactively visualizes data. We make software that enables massive collaboration. We make software that supports our men and women in the military, that smooths the way of emergency responders here at home, that offers insight to researchers and data analysts. We're a passionate, close-knit group of inter-disciplinary thinkers and doers that craft truly one-of-a-kind software used all over the world, and we do it from our cozy-casual office here in Pittsburgh.
Check out who we are and what we do here